Photos are helpful if you don’t live in the house yet. For our home, I identified some key elements that required changing, which were top of my wish list. I organized my thoughts into a keynote presentation to review with three architects, as part of my decision process.
The key elements that I identified are as follows:
- Alec and I love to cook and entertain often. The original kitchen was sandwiched between the dining room and a family room addition, with little natural light. #1 on our wish list was to open up the kitchen to the dining room to allow in light and provide an open floor plan for how we live and entertain.
- There is a small office off the living room, which has one small window, this space could be used for a larger powder room, or to open up to the family room addition.
- Moving from California where I created many outdoor spaces for my clients, I knew I would want more outdoor living space in our Weston, CT home. So the wish list contains adding French doors to the living room to walk out to a terrace to enjoy the outdoor space and incredible view of the forest.
- Change the pitch and run of the main staircase and the basement staircase to be safer and more ergonomic.
- Remove the entry hall closets and find a new spot for a coat closet on the main floor. This would accomplish my goal of making the entry feel like an inviting room, rather than a utility space to store coats. This would allow more space for the changed entry staircase as well.
- One of our must-haves when searching for a home in Fairfield County, CT was a basement. This space is perfect for the bar we intend to build and open up to a screened porch.
- The master suite needs a total reconfiguration to make a proper bathroom with a bathtub, window and two sink vanity. The master closet looks like a fun house with a series of doors, we intend to open it up, removing doors.
- Reconfigure the laundry room to include a sink and folding counter.
- Replace all the existing windows with new, energy-efficient windows.
- Replace the front door and side lights.
After writing down our needs the next step was finding an architect since we were making structural changes: Selecting Your Architect in Weston Connecticut
If you are also considering a renovation of your Weston home or need interior design help, please give me a call to discuss your project.