This is the question I am often asked when hired to design a room for a client. Here are some guidelines to help you.
1. Is the sofa well made, solid wood frame? Or has sentimental value such as Gran?
2. Do you need new cushions? If they look really sad, probably need new.
3. What were you willing to spend on a new sofa? $3,000? $4,000? Need a comparison cost to re-upholstery.
4. Are you able to measure and take some photos to get a quote from an upholsterer?
I suggest you go ahead and get a quote for labor and required yardage for your existing sofa. Be sure to tell the upholsterer the following:
- Do you plan to use a solid fabric (no pattern repeat)?
- Have you selected a patterned fabric (state the vertical and horizontal repeat, as this requires more fabric)?
- Do you want new cushions?
- How about welting (box cushions)? Gives more structure to cushions, a bit more labor and fabric.
92A Old Ridgefield Rd, Wilton, CT
Jon Paul Schriever Upholstery
Tami Smight Interiors is available to provide a selection of upholstery weight fabrics for you to consider for your project and coordinate the quote process from the upholsterer. We can also provide custom drapery and other interior design services for your Wilton home. Give me a call at 203-677-1161